There’s a difference between “going through the motions” and seeking holiness through habit. Most times, transformation doesn’t come in an instant and we can’t sit around waiting for our desires to be changed in a miraculous moment. Instead, we have to put our body in the right place and pray that the heart catches up. We have to trust that God works out from the body into the heart just as much as he works in from the heart out to the body.
If through a broken heart God can bring His purposes to pass in the world, then thank Him for breaking your heart.
I’m gonna pray, and sing, and hope; I’m gonna weep, and beg, and moan; I’m gonna fight, and struggle, and doubt. But in the end, I’m gonna be His and He is gonna be mine. For my life is not my own, but the product of a God who breathed life into dust and said “Follow Me, out into the storm.”
If you’re not seeking first His kingdom and His righteousness, you’ll always be susceptible to worry. Seeking first the Kingdom and righteousness of God doesn’t take away your ability to live life; it merely takes away life’s ability to rob you of your created value and purpose.
Watching someone go from depressed and suicidal to entirely in love with Jesus is one of the most powerful, faith-inspiring moments in one’s life. Watching a sinner be saved leaves no doubt in my mind of the all consuming love of God. Christ is in the business of restoring broken hearts and lives, and while it’s one thing to have that knowledge, it’s unexplainably better to watch it play out. God is powerful, but hearing that said means only so much. Watching Him tear down the walls of sin and shame that hold one back from Him not only radically changes the life of the new believer, but also transforms the faith of all who see.
Excerpts from my mind #28 (via bigdreamsinchrist)
- So many times young people will come to me and they will say, you know, a young man will say, “I desire to marry this girl.”
- And I will say, “Why?”
- And he will say, “Well, I love to be with her and she is beautiful and when I am with her we feel so good and it just meets so many needs in my life and there is just when she is around, my life is so much more endearing.”
- And I will always ask him this question, “Well, then, what you are telling me is you want to marry this girl because she meets all your selfish self centered needs and desires?”
- The young man will always say, “No, that is not what I mean.”
- And I’ll always say, “But that is what you said. You want to be with her because she is beautiful. Young man, what happens when she is no longer beautiful? What happens when someone more beautiful comes across your path?”
- Or, “We can really talk and that is why we want to be together?”
- What happens when you can’t really talk?
- “We feel so good together.”
- What happens when those feelings for a season are gone?
- You see, your marriage must be based upon this one thing. God has called me to lay down my life for this woman. If she responds in kind praise the Lord. If she does not respond in kind, praise the Lord because I am not in this for me. And in a sense I am not
- even in this for her. But I am in this for God.
- The world will tell us that...that marriage is a 50-50 relationship. And then years ago Christians came along and said, “No. It is not a 50-50 relationship, it is 100%-100% relationship.”
- I disagree with both. Marriage is 100%-0% relationship. You give 100% of everything you are to this woman even if she returns nothing of the sort back to you because you have been called of God to lay down your life for her.
I wish to live a life that causes my soul to dance inside my body.
You do not need to take other people’s pain and suffering into your heart. This world is filled with enough suffering without trying to spread it. Rather, touch the pain and suffering you find and meet it with with love and spaciousness. That is what we call compassion.
There is nothing remotely good within me but Christ.